WHAT TO DISCOVER WHEN BEING IN PERAK:
- Kellie’s Castle
- Tanjung Tualang Tin Dredge Ship and Heritage Museum
- The Lost World of Tambun
- Ipoh Heritage Trail
From Railway Station to The Birch Memorial Clock Tower
- Lenggong Archaelogical Gallery
- Kuala Kangsar Heritage Trail
From Istana Iskandariah to Galeri Sultan Azlan Shah
- Lunch at Ayam Penyet AP at Mydin Meru Raya Hypermarket
Introducing the Latest Product of Touch ‘N’ Go: MyPass
- Heritage House “Muzium Gopeng”
- Kinta Tin Mining (Gravel Pump) Museum
HERITAGE HOUSE ‘MUZIUM GOPENG’
If travellers happen to pass by the historic and laidback Perak town of Gopeng, do not miss the opportunity to visit the Heritage House Muzium Gopeng, sandwiched between the town’s shophouses aging over a hundred years. Being overshadowed by other larger cities like Ipoh and Taiping, the old city of Gopeng is regularly overseen by common travellers. Officiated by the former Tourism Minister, Dato’ Seri Dr. Ng Yen Yen, on the 17th of April 2011 in conjunction with World Heritage Day, Gopeng Heritage House Museum is the brainchild of Won Kuan Cheong, the organisation’s co-founder and treasurer .
It is housed in the double-storey brick shophouses built in 1882 by Eu Kong (the founder of the traditional Chinese medicine Eu Yan Seng brand) and exhibits some of Malaysia’s priceless and unique antiquities. It is also the annex of Muzium Gopeng, which has been opened to the public since 2009 and also housed in a nearby historical shophouse.
During its heyday, Gopeng flourished as the centre of the tin mining industry. It was reported that there used to be a large Chinese settlement for 1,000 miners who worked at five large mines. In 1915, Gopeng prospered with the presence of High Street and Eu Kong Street that are lined with fine Chinese shophouses. More interesting in-depth information about Gopeng can be found at the Heritage House Muzium Gopeng.
The moment travellers step inside the Heritage House Muzium Gopeng, they are bound to feel like they are being transported back to 125 years ago through numerous antiques, period furniture and ancient calligraphy paintings. The Heritage House comes in the form of a wealthy Chinese merchant complete with living room, bedrooms, kitchen and a bar. There are also rooms that display old business establishments such as the barber shop, nightclub and kopitiam (coffee shop).
- Gopeng Town is much older than cities like Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur. Most locals described the town as prosperous, representative of its time modern and even had its own vices like brothels and bars.
- Gopeng Heritage House is open to the public only during weekends from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Admission is free. Donation, however, is very highly appreciated.
GOPENG HERITAGE HOUSE
Address: Jalan Sungai Itik 31600 Gopeng, Perak
Tel: +60 5-359 1923
Latitude: 04°47.4904’ longitude: 101°16.7277’