By Mohd Mursi on December 29, 2015
Known for the likes of the tough Xterra and Ironman Triathlon Races, Langkawi is also home to South East Asia’s first Global UNESCO Geopark, where travellers would be able to find over 700 species of birds and butterflies, and 99 islands. Besides the main island of Langkawi, the second largest of these islands is Pulau Tuba, home to some 2,000 inhabitants and largely unperturbed by tourists and local Langkawians. Located only 15 minutes of boat ride from the Tourism Jetty in Kuah, this island only allows limited motorised vehicles are allowed on the island to preserve the natural environment, making it the perfect site to cater to the adventurous eco-tourism market.
In the olden days, Pulau Tuba used to be a pirates’ den in the early 1940s and drug smuggling transit point. Despite its notorious past, Pulau Tuba now has entirely cleaned itself up and ready to welcome tourists near and far. To introduce Tuba Island, Langkawi Developement Authority (LADA) and Eplus Entertainment Productions organised a trail run for tourists to explore this stunning location.
Here are some interesting facts about the upcoming Tuba Trail Run 2016:
– Langkawi will be organising the Pulau Tuba Trail Run on 2 April 2016, a 30-kilometre route (40% natural trail, 60% tarmac) requiring participants to race on foot across Pulau Tuba to the neighbouring Pulau Dayang Bunting. Public are largely welcome to join in this activity.
– The trail passes by towering limestone cliffs, pristine mangrove forests, including untouched sections of Pulau Dayang Bunting and Pulau Tuba, previously only accessible to local residents.
– Upon completion, participants will be treated to a khenduri-style traditional lunch.
– Participation is limited to only 450 participants to minimise the environmental impact. Participants will be staying at the Langkawi main island.
– Up to RM21,000 in prize money are to be won in respective categories.
This new and innovative way is good to explore and experience Tuba Island in its full glory and beauty. “Tuba Trail Run involves a travel trend that is rapidly gaining popularity; a merger of sport and appreciation for nature. We are confident the warm local hospitality and beautiful scenery along the trail will show off Pulau Tuba’s best qualities to the participants,” said Iskandar Shahril, Business Development Director of E-Plus Entertainment Productions.
After the run, participants may enjoy what Langkawi offers such as going up the Matchinchang Range on Langkawi SkyCab and indulge in duty-free shopping! So don’t miss out on the first Tuba Trail Run 2016, happening on 2 April 2016. Register today!