Malaysia’s favourite French cultural festival is back to showcase a new generation of French talents
Kuala Lumpur, 20 March 2018 — Culture enthusiasts can begin marking their calendars, as Malaysia’s largest and widest-reaching French event, Le French Festival (LFF) is making its annual appearance with a number of not-to-be-missed events including film screenings, musical concerts, theatre and live shows, foodie gatherings, and more.
Organised by the Alliance Française (AF) and the Embassy of France in Malaysia, LFF will once again be proudly presented by renowned French cognac house Martell. This year, LFF together with Martell invite festival-goers to “Be Curious” – to go beyond borders and explore the various aspects that French culture has to offer.
In line with its promise to provide a unique and exciting line-up each year, LFF 2018 will take place over a 5 week period from 12th April to 20th May, and will feature – for the first time – a more compact programme with at least one programme happening a day.
Mr. Jacques Bounin, Director of Alliance Française Kuala Lumpur shared that it is their goal for LFF 2018 to present both the rich French heritage and modernisation through its programmes.
“There is an increasing advantage in having the ability to speak French, as more and more companies are having a real need to hire people who are capable in that regard. In light of this we hope to provide Malaysians with an immersive French experience to encourage the exploration of new ventures,” said Mr. Bounin during the press conference.
With the French Film Festival already having long-standing presence in the Klang Valley and Penang, and last year debuting in Kota Kinabalu, this year will see LFF further extending its reach to Johor Bahru for the very first time.
Showcasing a new generation of French talents, LFF 2018 will be celebrating youth and highlighting only the most current trends and entertainment direct from France including:
- 16 recent movie releases for the French Film Festival (with subtitles in English),
- Numerous visiting musical artists from France including award-winning bands,
- Live theatre and a photography exhibition,
- as well as a number of Art de Vivre events featuring returning festival favourites including drink & food tastings with Martell, cooking classes, and more.
Some of the exciting highlights LFF2018 has to offer include:
- ‘Amok’ –a French theatre adaptation of Stefan Zweig’s novel (set in Malaysia, in the beginning of the 20th century)
- Rock-power trio Lysistrata – an award winning band and a regular at some of France’s biggest festivals
- With 2 grand pianos and 4 hands, Duo Jatekok is one of the most promising classical and jazz piano duos of their generation
- Of bagpipes and drums – Bagad de Lann Bihoué is a French navy musical act from the French region of Brittany consisting of 30 musicians
Chiming in on the festival highlights is Ms. Fanny Surzur, Cultural Coordinator from Alliance Française Kuala Lumpur, saying that for the first time, LFF2018 has a day dedicated to children as well.
“This year we will be bringing in fresh new faces and youthful programmes to cater to the younger crowd,” said Ms Fanny.
“The festival has always acted as a prestigious and privileged platform for expression of the French arts and aims to boost momentum for cultural exchanges. The French culture is certainly one that transcends all ages and backgrounds, and we’re excited to bring to Malaysian shores new cultural experiences to whet their senses.”
Gracing the LFF 2018 press conference is guest speaker and renowned Malaysian actress, Siti Saleha, who shares an affinity with the French culture as she was influenced by French cinema growing up.
Le French Festival 2018 is made possible with the support of presenter Martell and French Film Festival partner Golden Screen Cinemas, as well as various Malaysian and French sponsors and partners including:
Martell, Etihad, Aloft Hotel, Aésop, Château de Lafont, Intermovers, AGS Four winds, Bachy Soletanche, BNP Paribas, Brandt, Colas Rail, Naval Group, NAZA, Thales, Vinci, Equatorial Penang, Escatec
Club Med, JKKN, Damansara Performing Arts Center – DPAC, Gallery des artistes, Golden Screen Cinemas, MaTiC, Malongo, Monin, No Black Tie, Paul, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur, Pisco Bar, Sutra foundation, The Bee, L’Officiel
For more information, please visit www.lefrenchfestival.com.my
or its Facebook page facebook.com/lefrenchfestivalmy.
Le French Festival 2018 Contact Info
- Official website: www.lefrenchfestival.com.my
- Facebook Page: facebook.com/lefrenchfestivalmy
- Official hashtag on social media #lefrenchfestivalmy
- Volunteering, bookings (tasting events, etc), general queries: email@example.com / +60 3-2694 7880
Alliance Française de Kuala Lumpur